Why isn't my API call working?
Use Audit History to troubleshoot API problems.
Do this as follows:
- Open your application in the AppSheet Editor.
- Go to the Manage>Monitor tab and click "Audit History". Then click "Get audit history records".
- Look for audit records with an "Action" value of "REST API invoke".
- You may need to wait for up to five minutes for the audit record to appear. We group audit records and periodically write the grouped audit records to reduce overhead. This can result in a delay before an audit record appears in the audit history. You may need to wait a short while and then click "Get audit history records" again to see the audit record.
- Click the "Details" icon to see the outcome of the API call.
- If the API call failed, the Details give the reason for this.
- If you see "Result": "Success" at the end of the audit record, then the API call succeeded.
Row Having Key Not Found
The error "Row having key '<key value>' not found" indicates that the record with the specified key could not be found when performing an update or delete. This can occur if your table has a Security Filter that excludes the record.
The REST API request runs under the user id you specify in the REST API "UserId" property. If no "UserId" is specified, the REST API request runs under the User Id of the app owner.
Value Cannot be Converted to Type
Value '<value>' in field '<field name>' cannot be converted to type '<type>'
indicates that the data value in the field is invalid or is not in the expected format.
The Locale is used when validating Date, Time, DateTime, Decimal, Percent, and Price data values. For example, when Locale is "en-US", date values must be entered in MM/DD/YYYY format. When Locale is "en-GB", date values must be entered in DD/MM/YYYY format. When no Locale is specified, Locale "en-US" is assumed and date values must be entered in MM/DD/YYYY format.
AppSheet Webhook Action Depth Reached
The error "AppSheet Webhook action depth reached" indicates that a workflow or Report webhook is attempting to invoke the REST API repeatedly and has reached the recursive calling depth limit of 5.
This error typically arises in the following circumstance.
- The application contains a workflow rule or Report that invokes a webhook that calls the REST API to add, update, or delete one or more records in a table.
- When the REST API is called, it adds, updates, or deletes the appropriate records. It then triggers any workflow rules associated with those records. This may include workflow rules that invoke a webhook that calls the REST API. This can lead to intended or unintended recursion.
- Unintended recursion occurs when a webhook calls the REST API, which triggers a webhook that calls the REST API, which triggers a webhook that calls the REST API, and so forth indefinitely. This is a form of "infinite recursion". To stop infinite recursion, we maintain a counter to detect and prevent it. When the calling depth limit of 5 is reached, we display the error "AppSheet Webhook action depth reached" and prevent further recursion.